The number one priority of playground operators should be ensuring the health and safety of children. This means taking the necessary steps to clean and sanitize playground equipment. For that, you need playground pressure washing services.
The State of Playground Pressure Washing in a Post-COVID World
The year 2020 came like no other. What started out as a seemingly normal year soon became one of the worst in recent memory due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Businesses, schools, and entire communities had to temporarily close down to mitigate the spread of the coronavirus. For employees, it meant either working from home or having to live with no pay. For kids, it meant continuing their studies with the help of virtual platforms.
Today, as vaccines continue to roll out and schools around the country have started to reopen, the concern for children’s health and safety remains. It is up to these very schools to practice frequent cleaning and sanitization to minimize the risk of spreading the virus. Now more than ever, proper hygiene and cleanliness are top priorities.
With the resumption of in-person classes, schools should take every cautious step to maintain a clean and virus-free learning environment. Close attention must be paid to high-touch surfaces like doorknobs, handles, desks, and railings. Playgrounds must also undergo frequent cleaning, as these areas come with plenty of high-touch surfaces and close contact.
And it is not just the schools either. Many parks and communities also have playgrounds to maintain. While not all of these places have reopened, those that have should adopt playground sanitation procedures in addition to social distancing and mask-wearing guidelines.
Understanding Playground Risks Outside of COVID-19
While COVID-19 poses a serious risk to the health of children in playgrounds, it is not the only illness operators should be wary of. There are many other diseases kids can contract while having fun on a playground. Germs, bacteria, and viruses — whether brought by other children or by animal traffic — all pose health risks.
- E. coli. This bacteria can cause symptoms such as fever, vomiting, diarrhea, and stomach cramps. While generally mild, E. coli infections can worsen and even become life-threatening.
- Fecal coliform. Also known as thermotolerant coliform, this bacteria can cause flu-like symptoms such as diarrhea and an upset stomach. It is also generally mild, though some age groups (the very young and very old) may experience severe symptoms.
- Klebsiella pneumonia. This bacteria can cause a number of infections, including bloodstream infections, pneumonia, and meningitis. While this bacteria does not commonly spread through the environment, it does pose a high risk of person-to-person contamination.
- Pinworms. Also known as enterobiasis or oxyuriasis, these small white worms can cause a pinworm infection. Symptoms include rashes in the anal area and anal discomfort, pain, or itching. In the United States, it is the most common type of worm infection.
- Staphylococcus aureus. This bacteria can give rise to skin infections, with symptoms such as redness, blisters, swelling, and abscesses. However, this bacteria can also cause more serious illnesses like pneumonia, bone infections, and heart valve infections.
- Streptococcus pyogenes. Also known as Group A streptococcus or GAS, this bacteria can cause a number of infections. This includes cellulitis, erysipelas, necrotizing fasciitis, pharyngitis, rheumatic fever, scarlet fever, and tonsillitis.
- Toxoplasma gondii. This protozoan parasite can cause toxoplasmosis. Symptoms include muscle pain, headache, fever, swollen lymph glands, and inflammation of the eye, lungs, and heart muscle.
The Benefits of Playground Pressure Washing and Sanitizing
Clearly, children expose themselves to many health risks when on the playground — not just COVID-19. As such, cleaning playground equipment should remain part of your routine even after the pandemic.
After all, children don’t know any better. They don’t cover their mouths when they sneeze or cough and don’t wash their hands before touching their face.
Many schools and communities, though, find it hard to clean playgrounds on a regular basis. This is usually because of a lack of time or manpower. Schools, parks, and communities would have to actively allocate resources to playground sanitizing and cleaning.
Pressure washing is the answer to these problems. Pressure washing playground equipment is not only a good way to help protect the health of children but can also extend the lifespan of the asset.
Playgrounds are typically located outdoors, which means they are exposed to the elements. Over time, these elements can take a toll on the equipment. But, through regular pressure washing, you can keep playgrounds clean and in tiptop shape. This will limit the need for repairs and, therefore, save you money in the long run. Plus, the CDC recommends regularly cleaning high-touch surfaces like play structures and grab bars.
Why Professional Help Matters
If pressure washing is something you can do yourself, why does it make sense to hire professionals at all?
- Expertise. For one thing, professionals know everything there is to know about pressure washing. They know what pressure level, nozzle, and cleaning products to use depending on the material that needs cleaning. They also know how to inspect for any pre-existing damages prior to pressure washing. This way, you can remedy the damages first, as pressure washing can worsen the situation.
- Equipment. Pressure washing companies have access to industrial-grade machines and eco-friendly cleaning products. They also know how to work these machines the right way.
- Efficient. Professionals can get the job done much faster. They can also adjust to your schedule to ensure minimal disruption. Hiring a professional pressure washing service is efficient not only in terms of time but also in terms of cost. Taking a DIY approach is ill-advised because you may end up doing more harm than good. In the end, you will have to add the cost of repairs to your bill.
What Are You Waiting For?
Without a doubt, playground pressure washing remains an essential part of every checklist for schools, parks, and communities. It helps protect the health of children by keeping germs at bay. It also lengthens the life of playground equipment by keeping them in good condition.
If you are looking for a fast and reliable pressure washing company, Washh is the obvious choice. Call us today at 704.321.8000 or contact us online for a free estimate.
- Pressure Washing 101: The Pros And Cons Of DIY Pressure Washing
- Why You Should Pressure Wash Before Painting And How to Do it Properly
- A Checklist For Government Building Maintenance Needs